Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Music illiteracy

Have we really lost our knowledge in music?

Just this morning in my Humanities class, our professor invited a guest speaker. The guest speaker talked about music, music, and nothing but music. And as a music lover, of course, I got interested in the discussion.

But it wasn't really the topic that captured my interest; it was his introduction that hooked me. "We are now suffering from music illiteracy." That was what he said in our class. And that made me think...is the present generation really undergoing 'music illiteracy'?

In my Philosophy class, I have learned that there is only one concrete answer in every yes-or-no question. Obviously, it's either 'yes' or 'no'. But, I guess this one is an exception because honestly...

If we would really observe the music nowadays, we will notice that not all songs are worth listening for. No offense meant to some music fanatic out there. (Anyways, I guess no one will be offended 'cause I'm not stating any specific music genre here.)


I admit that I'm a certified music lover. But it doesn't mean that I appreciate any kind of music. I mean, it depends on the kind of music, and sometimes, it also depends on the accompanied lyrics.

Let me state this as an example. Just three weeks ago my brother sang this new song from a new group of rappers discovered through the internet via youtube.com. It was a really nice song; the kind of song which they call 'singable'. It has a pretty nice beat. As he was singing the song, my mother came in and heard him.

"Are you insulting your sisters?" That's what she said. And it made me think. No matter how beautiful the beat of the song is, one cannot fully appreciate it if its lyrics is not that nice. And, vice-versa.

And honestly, there are a lot of songs in the present that are of this kind.

Well, I just hope that no matter how long the time will change, we will not lose our knowledge in music and will continue to love it.

4 comments:

mavs said...

Music illiteracy among us today?
Hmmm...lemme think...
Well, from where I see it, I don't think so.
First stop, I think it depends on how you define music illiteracy.
Second, I don't think that just because a certain music's beat is too loud to the point that you can no longer consider it a song but a yell, or just because its words are foul, etc, that you will consider it music illiteracy. Just like life's other fields, we have fortes and weaknesses. In other words, some appreciate music by its rhythm, some by its lyrics, or oftentimes by how we can relate to the message of the song. While there are few who are so particular with the words, there are also those who do not mind. I, for example, am a die hard fan of Eminem's songs in spite of the not so lovable lines of some of his songs. If an artist has already created an impression on me, I wouldn't give a damn to the lyrics at all. I would still listen to it because of the artist. On another point, there are also songs which seems ok at first hear, but the more you listen to it the more you discern its double meaning, yet you continue liking it. So, what am I trying to pull out here is that being literate on music depends on how you wanna be educated with it. It depends on how open minded you can be to different genres and artists.
And one more thing, don't be worried about that so called music illiteracy in the contemporary setting, it has already existed long time ago - even during Madonna and Michael's hype or even earlier.

aie sori kaau gitapol man gud kog comment...
then wala pod koi mayawyaw kaau mao nang gamay ra akong masulti...jejeje
//_'

Super Kaloy said...

I think nasabi na lahat ni Marvin.,.
But still I agree.,.GBU!

optimistic dora said...

music, music, music... bstah kai music, addict sad ko anah! pro, di q tuo ana'ng illiterate tah rn sa music uy, balih pd sila'ng mu comment... ahw, hehehe... bhalah sila nadz, bstah kai ang new generation naai own choice of music, unique!

nAdz_aPpLe said...

@Mavs:

yah..yah..yah...
judi na lang ko dugang frend kay dili siya taas ha...
hehe..

@DJ Rem:

bitaw, nasulti na tanan ni Marvin..
hekhek...

@Dora:

Of course, Do!
Our generation is not music illiterate. Nasuya ra nang taga sa una na panahon because they don't have styles na naa sa modern music...

Aja sa ato generation!